About St. Luke’s
Traditional Values, Contemporary Resources
With its long-standing commitment to kind and attentive patient care, St. Luke’s Hospital is a Toledo-area institution-- with over a century of continuous service to the community.
In 1898, surgeon William Gillette, MD, opened a small clinic in west Toledo. This clinic flourished and grew into a 50-bed facility called Robinwood Hospital. Eventually, this small hospital was purchased by the Federated Lutheran Benevolent Society of Toledo and turned into a not-for-profit Christian institution. While under Lutheran stewardship, Robinwood Hospital became St. Luke’s Hospital-- a Christian name chosen in 1951 to honor the work of caring physicians.
As the community’s need for a larger facility grew, so did St. Luke’s. In 1972, the hospital moved to a large suburban tract of land in Maumee with plenty of room for growth. The Maumee location has proven ideal for St. Luke’s expansion into a state-of-the-art hospital that accommodates over 300 patients.
St. Luke’s continues to evolve in order to meet the needs of the community and provide stellar service with a caring touch. As a member of ProMedica Health System, St. Luke’s operates today using its most cherished resource: a dedicated and diverse medical staff that strives to care for each patient in a comforting, personal atmosphere.
At St. Luke's Hospital, we promise to put our Patients first. Always.