If you are considering a clerkship, our programs can provide you with valuable hands-on experience and the opportunity to explore individual areas of interest while you build your medical career. Learn more below about elective, third- and fourth-year, and summer clerkships. Download a program brochure and application (PDF).
Our Family Medicine Residency includes several outstanding elective clerkship options, which are tailored to your individual goals and objectives. Our clerkship program provides solid practical experiences to support your medical training, while allowing you the flexibility to investigate certain areas in which you are most interested. Some of the many hands-on learning opportunities include:
- Evaluation and treatment of common outpatient problems
- Preventive medicine
- Routine immunizations
- Throat cultures
- EKG testing and interpretation
- Pulmonary function
- Osteopathic manipulative therapy
- Ultrasound guided injection
- Minor surgery
Third- and Fourth-Year Clerkships
Excellent clerkship opportunities are available to third- and fourth-year medical students. The clerkships are a minimum of two weeks and some are up to four weeks. Some of the benefits of participating in our program include opportunities to:
- Develop enhanced ambulatory, clinical and procedural skills
- Evaluate and assist in overall patient care management
- Get hands-on experience in a wide array of clinical areas
- Learn from educationally focused outpatient and inpatient opportunities
- Receive direct supervision by a family medicine preceptor
Summer clerkships are available for third- and fourth-year students from medical schools accredited by the ACGME. These offer opportunities to:
- Be involved in day-to-day patient care
- Develop history and physical examination skills
- Observe and assist in a variety of clinical procedures
The deadline to apply for a summer clerkship is May 1.
Summer clerkships are traditionally one to two weeks in duration. A stipend, complimentary lodging and meals may be available.
For more information and an application, please view and print our brochure (PDF).
All applications must be accompanied by a letter of good standing from the medical school dean, and proof of liability/malpractice insurance.
To apply, please fill out and mail the application in the brochure, or contact:
St. Luke’s Hospital Family Medicine Residency Coordinator
5901 Monclova Road
Maumee, OH 43537